Thursday, April 18, 2024

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt

 


I first became aware of Gary D. Schmidt as an author back in 2021 via one of my former college professors I'm still in touch with decades later. I read Gary D. Schmidt's young adult novel, Just Like That, in 2021 and enjoyed it thoroughly. I've been meaning to read more of his novels ever since then.

The latest novel I finished reading this month was actually listening to the unabridged audio version of The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt and is well narrated by Joel Johnstone. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED everything about The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt from the characters, the writing, the humor, the pacing of the storyline, the storyline/plot itself, the narration by Joel Johnstone, and the lessons learned/imparted in this young adult novel. I couldn't be happier with this read. I enjoyed The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt even more than I did Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt. 

I have a physical copy of Okay For Now by Gary D. Schmidt lined up to read at some point down the road... Hopefully, some time later this year!!

Listening time for The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt is 7 hours, 28 minutes.

Below is the publisher's plot summary for The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt I discovered on Chirp's website:

In this Newbery Honor-winning novel, Gary D. Schmidt offers an unforgettable antihero. The Wednesday Wars is a wonderfully witty and compelling story about a teenage boy’s mishaps and adventures over the course of the 1967-68 school year in Long Island, New York. Meet Holling Hoodhood, a seventh-grader at Camillo Junior High, who must spend Wednesday afternoons with his teacher, Mrs. Baker, while the rest of the class has religious instruction. Mrs. Baker doesn’t like Holling-he’s sure of it. Why else would she make him read the plays of William Shakespeare outside class? But everyone has bigger things to worry about, like Vietnam. His father wants Holling and his sister to be on their best behavior: the success of his business depends on it. But how can Holling stay out of trouble when he has so much to contend with? A bully demanding cream puffs; angry rats; and a baseball hero signing autographs the very same night Holling has to appear in a play in yellow tights! As fate sneaks up on him again and again, Holling finds Motivation-the Big M-in the most unexpected places and musters up the courage to embrace his destiny, in spite of himself.

I am giving The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt a rating of 5 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment