Monday, September 28, 2026

The Nudge by Joseph Fink

 


I listened to the unabridged audio version of The Nudge by Joseph Fink and nicely narrated by Cecil Baldwin & Kevin R. Free. Joseph Fink is a new to me author. Hoopla had recommended this novella to me based on the books I have read or listened to this year via the Hoopla app. 

I chose to listen to this novella based on the high ratings and also its short length at 2 hours, 28 minutes. Plus, I couldn't resist this horror and psychological thriller themed read as Halloween approaches.

Like the publisher's summary mentions below, I found the The Nudge by Joseph Fink to be atmospheric. I liked the duel narration for this novella as well. I also found the storyline to be interesting and engaging. As a side note, while I was listening to The Nudge, I found certain scenes reminding me of particular pop culture things... Like the song, 'Hotel California' by the Eagles, the Winchester Mansion, 'Psycho' (both the movie and novel), and the novel, Cujo. None of these things (Cujo, Psycho, Winchester Mansion, the song 'Hotel California') were actually referenced specifically in The Nudge, but certain scenes that were written made me think of of these particular pop culture icons.

I liked the characters for The Nudge too. However, The Nudge, was not as engrossing as I'd hoped it would be based on the overall rating of this novella.

Below is the publisher's summary for The Nudge by Joseph Fink I found on Chirp's website:

A new horror novella from the creator of Welcome to Night Vale and Alice Isn’t Dead.

On the open road, evil doesn’t chase you. It waits . . .

Late one night, a wounded man checks into a remote roadside hotel. He’s running from something he can’t explain or escape. And over the course of a night, he’ll tell the hotel’s proprietor how his life fell apart.

It started with his wife. Subtle changes. Smiles that didn’t belong to her. Then violence—sudden, intimate, almost casual. Therapy offered hope. Recovery seemed possible. Until it wasn’t. He believes a hidden influence has attached itself to him, one that never forces, never commands. It whispers. It suggests. Nudges people toward their worst impulses.

Now the man wanders the country as a fugitive, hoping to break free from the evil that’s wormed its way into him. But as our narrator’s story unfolds, he begins to question whether he’s fled far enough …

Tense, atmospheric, and chilling, The Nudge is a slow-burn tale of suspense that will linger like a whisper in the dark, long after the story is over.

I am giving The Nudge by Joseph Fink a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I like a good horror novel this time of year, but I'm not sure I would like this one. Though I am curious about what's wrong with his wife. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting read and also a quick read at that! Good read, but not stellar.

      Delete