Thursday, January 16, 2020

You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam


I am a dog lover! I especially love small dog breeds as our family has had Pomeranians for over 15 years. 

So, as a dog lover, I purchased a discounted hardcover copy of You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam prior to May of 2014. This year in an effort to FINALLY read more of the older books in my 'to be read' pile, I made You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam my 3rd read of 2020.

I enjoyed reading You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness overall. The author, Julie Klam, is a good writer and shares many pearls of wisdom on how dogs have enhanced her life. 

Favorite quote from this book:

A very wise dog woman once told me that dogs find owners, not the other way around. They pick you and they choose to stay with you. In that way, they are also giving you the end of their life. The deeper the bond, the harder it is to say goodbye. I know I'd rather have any amount of time with a dog I love and suffer the mourning than not have the time at all. (page 130 hardcover edition)

The following is the publisher's summary for You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam, which I found on Goodreads:
The hilarious and heartfelt chronicle of a woman learning the secrets of love, health, and happiness from some very surprising teachers: her dogs.
Julie Klam was thirty, single, and working as a part-time clerk in an insurance company, wondering if she would ever meet the man she could spend the rest of her life with. And then it happened. She met the irresistible Otto, her first in a long line of Boston terriers, and fell instantly in love.
You Had Me at Woof is the often hilarious and always sincere story of how one woman discovered life's most important lessons from her relationships with her canine companions. From Otto, Julie realized what it might feel like to find "the one." She learned to share her home, her heart, and her limited resources with another, and she found an authentic friend in the process. But that was just the beginning. Over the years her brood has grown to one husband, one daughter, and several Boston terriers. And although she had much to learn about how to care for them-walks at 2 a.m., vet visits, behavior problems-she was surprised and delighted to find that her dogs had more wisdom to convey to her than she had ever dreamed. And caring for them has made her a better person-and completely and utterly opened her heart.
Riotously funny and unexpectedly poignant, You Had Me at Woof recounts the hidden surprises, pleasures, and revelations of letting any mutt, beagle, terrier, or bulldog go charging through your world.
I am giving You Had Me at Woof: How Dogs Taught Me the Secrets of Happiness by Julie Klam a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I somehow just don't get the dog lover thing but then I can relate because I have loved many cats and they have each taught me things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cats too. Animals have a way to the human heart and spirit.

      Delete