Monday, February 25, 2013

US World Book Night 2013!

I have some exciting news to share with you all!! Once again, I've been selected to be a book giver for the US World Book Night 2013 event on April 23, 2013!!

So, what is World Book Night, you ask? Here's how it's defined by the US World Book Night Website:
World Book Night is an annual celebration dedicated to spreading the love of reading, person to person. Each year on April 23, tens of thousands of people in the U.S. go out into their communities and give a total of half a million free World Book Night paperbacks to light and non-readers.
I thoroughly enjoyed being a book giver last year for the US World Book Night event. I passed out 20 free copies of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou within my community. I've been an avid fan of Maya Angelou's works of poetry and her autobiographies. I've even seen Maya Angelou speak before a live audience twice before and she's an amazing, gifted speaker!

This year, I will be handing out 20 free copies of The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros within my community. I first read 'The House on Mango Street' for a Women's Studies course in college back in the early 1990s. I reread 'The House on Mango Street' at the end of last year and enjoyed rereading it again. 'The House on Mango Street' is a novella and is told through a series of short chapters or vignettes and is the story of Esperanza Cordero, a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago. I love the manner in which 'The House on Mango Street' is written. By writing vignettes, Cisneros shares the story of Esperanza Cordero in a unique, refreshing way. 

Who else has applied to be a book giver this year? Which book will you be passing out within your community?

No comments:

Post a Comment