Saturday, January 16, 2016

Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender

I purchased Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender in November 2014 at a local independent bookstore. I was enchanted with this novel's title and its beautiful book cover. After reading the plot summary on the back cover, I knew I had to read this young adult novel... And finally, a year plus later, I read Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer over a three day period.

There's both good and bad about this novel... But let me preface that overall, I really enjoyed reading Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender. I liked the premise of this novel in which Marie Antoinette's ghost is a serial killer in modern day Paris, France! I also enjoyed that this novel is about a group of high school girls visiting Paris, France with their French teacher during the time in which the serial killings are taking place. Leading character, Colette Iselin, senses that her class trip to Paris, France will change her life and believe me, it does change her life in more ways than one. Colette discovers that her family is related to the French royal family. I enjoyed the mystery, drama, budding romance, and the ghostly figure of Marie Antoinette in Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer. Besides, who can resist a novel set in Paris, France??

What I didn't like about Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer was Colette's friendship with the uber popular, mean girl, Hannah. Colette is only friends with Hannah because she wanted to be friends with the popular girl in school, so that she'll become popular too. Hannah is downright shallow, mean, and not a true friend to Colette or anyone else for that matter. Colette is unable to share her true self with Hannah without feeling like she won't be accepted for simply being herself. You can tell that it's only a matter of time before Colette stands up to Hannah and walks away from their relationship for good. I only wish that Colette ditched Hannah sooner than she did instead of dragging out their relationship for most of the novel. It was really annoying that Colette let Hannah be such a weenie to her for most of the novel. So much of their relationship seemed to be based on peer pressure and Colette's need to fit in.

The other thing that I wished could have been showcased/explored in more detail in Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer was the relationship between Colette and Jules (the cute French tour guide), but alas it didn't happen.

The following is a plot summary for Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender from Amazon:
21st century girl. 18th century ghost. Heads will roll!
The city of light just got a little darker. . . .
Colette Iselin is excited to go to Paris on a class trip. She'll get to soak up the beauty and culture, and maybe even learn something about her family's French roots.
But a series of gruesome murders are taking place across the city, putting everyone on edge. And as she tours museums and palaces, Colette keeps seeing a strange vision: a pale woman in a ball gown and powdered wig, who looks suspiciously like Marie Antoinette.
Colette knows her popular, status-obsessed friends won't believe her, so she seeks out the help of a charming French boy. Together, they uncover a shocking secret involving a dark, hidden history. When Colette realizes she herself may hold the key to the mystery, her own life is in danger. . . .
Acclaimed author Katie Alender brings heart-stopping suspense to this tale of revenge, betrayal, intrigue -- and one killer queen.
I am giving Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer by Katie Alender a rating of 3.5 stars out of 5 stars!! 

Until my next post, happy reading!!

6 comments:

  1. Huh this definitely sound like a different sort of book! I don't think I've every read another like it! Maybe I'll try it out based on that alone although I don't tend to like books that revolve around ghosts. Marie Antoinette is a cool history figure though... such decisions! Anyway, I'm so glad you liked it for the most part :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not normally one to read books with ghosts in them either. Thank goodness the ghost of Marie Antoinette was well done and not too over the top.

      Delete
  2. Great review. I have loved the premise of this story from the first moment that I heard about it, but have read mostly lukewarm reviews. It is available at my library, so I will probably give it a go at some point though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer, I hope you enjoy it. Happy reading!!

      Delete
  3. Great review!!! You made me more excited about this book. I hope it wins my TBR List!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed reading my review of Marie Antoinette, Serial Killer. I hope it wins your TBR List too. Happy reading!

      Delete