Tuesday, December 17, 2013

US World Book Night 2014

I've once again applied to be a US World Book Night book giver for 2014!! I'm hoping that I'll be selected for a third year in row to pass out 20 free copies of one of the 35 book titles available to choose from for 2014.

World Book Night falls each year on April 23rd and it just so happens that April 23rd is UNESCO International Day of the Book. 

So, what is World Book Night, you may be wondering? According to the World Book Night website, "World Book Night is an annual celebration dedicated to spreading the love of reading, person to person.  Each year on April 23 –Shakespeare’s birthday– tens of thousands of people in the U.S. go out into their communities and give a total of half a million free World Book Night paperbacks to light and non-readers."

Are you interested in learning more about World Book Night? If so, please click on the following links to learn more:

The 2014 Books 

Be A Book Giver

You have until January 5, 2014 to apply to be a US World Book Night 2014 book giver! It's a blast to pass out books within ones community. I love to read and hope to encourage light or non-readers to read more books.

I'm hoping to receive my first choice book selection for the US World Book Night 2014... My first book choice is 'The ZooKeeper's Wife' by Diane Ackerman. I enjoyed reading this book immensely a few years ago and would highly recommend it to others who've not yet read this nonfiction book.

Watch Diane Ackerman talk about The ZooKeeper's Wife' on You Tube.


Until my next post, happy reading!! 

7 comments:

  1. I decided not to apply to be a giver this year because I wasn't familiar with any of the books. Embarrassing, isn't it?! (I think it would be hard to give out books that I hadn't read and loved, you know?) But The Zookeeper's Wife sounds fantastic! I just put it on reserve at our library. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy reading The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman. It's the only book I've read by her an it was amazing... very descriptive and beautifully written.

      Delete
    2. I started the audio book today and it's really good so far! I may apply to be a giver after all. :)

      Delete
    3. Yay, I'm glad you are enjoying The ZooKeeper's Wife so far!

      Delete
  2. I am going to apply again!! I have been applying for a couple years now but never get chosen! WHAT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I hope you're selected to be a book giver next year!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll be chosen to be a book giver next year. As I mentioned above, it's a lot of fun to pass out books within the community.

      I've always been a bit nervous that I may not be selected to be a book giver... I wonder what their criteria is for selecting book givers??

      Delete