Sunday, October 21, 2012

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

I enjoyed reading Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse very much and I can see why this novel won the Newbery Medal in 1998.

This novel is a work of historical fiction set in Oklahoma during the Dust Bowl era in the years 1934 & 1935. The story is told through the point of view of a girl named Billie Jo. 

My favorite part of this novel was that it was written entirely as a series of free verse poems and feels very much like reading someone's personal diary.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! I'm glad you blogged about it because I keep meaning to loan it to my mother. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How'd your mom end up liking this book? Did she enjoy reading it as much as you did?

      I know I really enjoyed ready it a lot.

      Delete