Friday, October 5, 2012

Banned Graphic Novels

The banning of graphic novels is something I never though much about, but apparently it's an issue that I've only become aware of this week. 

According to a Digital Spy post titled, Banned Books Week celebrates 30th anniversary by Hugh Armitage, "the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF) has published a list of 19 graphic novels that have been the subject of attempted bans."

I was surprised to learn that Maus by Art Spiegelman and Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons made the list of challenged/banned graphic novels.

Click on the above links for further details!!

3 comments:

  1. 'Watchmen'... what a great graphic novel! I loved it when I got the opportunity to read it through a bookring. It was complex and wonderful and brilliantly written as well.

    Who'd want to ban it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the two best graphic novels ever are banned... go figure!!! I love these and everyone should read them.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always amazed when any book is banned or challenged. I've never understood the reasoning behind why a certain group wants a particular book banned.

    Earlier this year I'd read and blogged about The Giver by Lois Lowry (http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2012/06/giver-by-lois-lowry.html).

    I felt that The Giver was a very thought provoking and well written novel for young adults and if I was a parent I wouldn't have an issue with my child reading this book. So, needless to say, I was stunned to learn that The Giver had been a challenged book because adults felt that the book supported euthanasia, abortion and infanticide. I never once felt while reading The Giver that it promoted/supported euthanasia, abortion and/or infanticide.

    I believe in the motto "Ban ignorance, not books."

    ReplyDelete