Saturday, September 28, 2024

The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner

 


I enjoyed listening to The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner and narrated by Cassandra Campbell while on vacation earlier this month.

Listening time for The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner is 7 hours, 40 minutes.

The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner is a work of contemporary fiction and is also a psychological suspense. I've had this novel in my 'to be read' pile for a number of years and I am glad I finally read it this month.

The pros of The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner for me was the main character, Kyra Winthrop, and the overall storyline. Kyra is a 34 year old marine biologist and she was involved in a diving accident that left her with a complex form of memory loss. She barely remembers anything about her life from the past four years. Kyra has flashes of memories that don't make a lot of sense to her as she tries to piece her life back together.

Kyra is also essentially an unreliable main character. She draws a few false conclusions about her life when it comes to all of her fragmented flashes of memories and how they fit together. I also questioned whether or not Kyra's fragmented flashes of memoir were even true/real at the time or if they were simply false memories.

The overall storyline/plot and other characters were good too. I figured out some of what was happening in the novel early on, but there was a plot twist that I didn't quite catch.

The major con for me was the pacing of this novel. The Twilight Wife was a bit slow for me. 

Below is the publisher's summary for The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner from Amazon's website:

From best-selling author A.J. Banner comes a dazzling new novel of psychological suspense in the vein of S.J. Watson's Before I Go to Sleep and Mary Kubica's The Good Girl that questions just how much we can trust the people around us.

Thirty-four-year-old marine biologist Kyra Winthrop remembers nothing about the diving accident that left her with a complex form of memory loss. With only brief flashes of the last few years of her life, her world has narrowed to a few close friendships on the island where she lives with her devoted husband, Jacob.

But all is not what it seems. Kyra begins to have visions - or are they memories? - of a rocky marriage, broken promises, and cryptic relationships with the island residents, whom she believes to be her friends.

As Kyra races to uncover her past, the truth becomes a terrifying nightmare. A twisty, immersive thriller, The Twilight Wife will keep listeners enthralled through the final, shocking twist.

I am giving The Twilight Wife by A.J. Banner a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment