Thursday, October 5, 2017

English novelist Kazuo Ishiguro wins the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature!

Congrats to English novelist Kazuo Ishiguro on winning the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature! 

Every year around this time I am on pins and needles waiting to learn who will win the Nobel Prize for Literature... And it's so difficult to know who's going to actually win the Nobel Prize for Literature. Sometimes the Nobel Prize for Literature goes to an author I've heard of before and other times I've never heard of the author before ever... So the news as to the winner's identity of the Nobel Prize in Literature always makes for interesting reading to say the least.

Sometimes, I try to make a guess as to who I think will win this prestigious literary award... This year, I guessed the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature would go to Japanese author, Haruki Murakami, as I've heard in previous years he'd been a potential front runner to win the the Nobel Prize For Literature... But alas, my guess was wrong!

Although, I've heard of Kazuo Ishiguro before, I've never read any of his novels to date. So, I'll be adding one of his novels to my ever growing 'to be read' pile at some point.

In the New York Times article titled, Kazuo Ishiguro Is Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature by Alexandra Alter and Dan Bilefsky, I learned the following information:
Mr. Ishiguro, 62, is best known for his novels “The Remains of the Day,” about a butler serving an English lord in the years leading up to World War II, and “Never Let Me Go,” a melancholy dystopian love story set in a British boarding school. In his seven novels, he has obsessively returned to the same themes, including the fallibility of memory, mortality and the porous nature of time.
“If you mix Jane Austen and Franz Kafka then you have Kazuo Ishiguro in a nutshell, but you have to add a little bit of Marcel Proust into the mix,” said Sara Danius, the permanent secretary of The Swedish Academy.
Ms. Danius described Mr. Ishiguro as “a writer of great integrity.”
“He doesn’t look to the side,” she said. “He has developed an aesthetic universe all his own.”
In a statement released by his publisher, Mr. Ishiguro expressed astonishment at the award, calling it, “amazing and totally unexpected news.”
Click on the top link to read the entire article.

Until my next post, happy reading!! 

2 comments:

  1. It is always a big surprise isn't it? I have pretty much loved the two books by Mr Ishiguro's that I have read: When We Were Orphans and Never Let Me Go. Now it is time to read the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading anything by Kazuo Ishiguro, but Never Let Me Go does sound good.

      Delete