Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday - Bookstores I've Visited & Loved!!


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader GirlTop Ten Tuesday was originally created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

I decided to put a twist on this week's Top Ten Tuesday theme and share my favorite indie bookstores that I've visited over the years instead of sharing which ones I still wish to visit in the future.

My top ten favorite indie bookstores to date (in no particular order of importance) are as follows:

1. Alexander Book Company in the heart of downtown San Francisco, California, USA.  Alexander Book Company is easy walking distance from a BART Station. It contains three stories of books!! I love the layout of this bookstore, friendly staff, plenty of new releases to choose from and also a ton of deeply discounted remaindered books.

2. Book Passage in Corte Madera, California, USA. Book Passage has three different locations (San Francisco, Sausalito, and Corte Madera). The Corte Madera location is awesome! Book Passage in Corte Madera, California is large, offers a plethora of author signings and talks (as well author events at their other locations too), conferences, and classes. Friendly staff, great selection of books, and wonderful layout.

3. Vroman's Bookstore in Pasadena, California, USA is a beautiful bookstore. They have authors events,  and also sell pens and stationary. Vroman's Bookstore is also billed as SoCal's oldest and largest independent bookstore.

4. The Last Bookstore in downtown Los Angeles, California, USA. This a very beautiful and unique bookstore. They sell used records too. Great layout. Events take place there like book clubs, author talks, and more.

5. Bart's Books in Ojai, California, USA. I love this very unique bookstore! It's partially outdoors and has meandering bookshelves and passageways. It's a fun book store to visit and sells used books. It's one of my favorite used bookstores.

6. The Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. I love this small bookstore that specializes mainly in mysteries and thrillers. They have plenty of author signing events and book clubs events as well. Plus, they have a podcast and videos on YouTube!

7. Elaine's Book Mark - The Paperback Exchange in Escondido, California, USA. This bookstore sells used books and is large for a used bookstore. This is one of my favorite used bookstores.

8. Rakestraw Books in Danville, California, USA. My favorite local bookstore at the moment. It's small, but packs a punch! Friendly staff, plenty of free parking, many author signing events, book clubs, great layout and very cute interior space.

9. Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore in San Diego, California, USA. If you're a fan of genre fiction such as mystery, fantasy, science fiction, and horror, then this is the bookstore for you!

10. Prairie Lights in Iowa City, Iowa, USA. I attended the University of Iowa in the mid-1990s and earned my BA in Russian in 1996. The University of Iowa is located in the heart of Iowa City... During my college days, my favorite bookstore was Prairie Lights!! This place was awesome for all my reading needs and had a cafe that served yummy pastries and espresso beverages. Even though I haven't been back to Iowa City in 22 years, I am thrilled to see this bookstore still thriving! Prairie Lights opened their doors in 1978. They still have a cafe and offer author events/readings.

Share your favorite indie bookstores with me in the comment section below!

15 comments:

  1. The Poisoned Pen is one of the better bookstore names I've come across. :)

    I love a good indie store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I ever get to LA I have to go to The Last Bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, yes! I love supporting indie bookstores whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great bookstores in your neck of the woods! And Prairie Lights sounds delightful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great list! Mystery Galaxy Bookstore sure sounds like a place for me. xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome that you've gotten to visit all of these! I'd love to go to Mysterious Galaxy and The Last Bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, what neat bookstores that you've visited! I keep meaning to drive down and visit Mysterious Galaxy because I am a huge sci-fi/fantasy fan and they are always having great events I want to go to. I've also been to The Last Bookstore and it really is awesome. I didn't realize The Poisoned Pen was an actual bookstore! I've gotten a lot of ARCs of their mystery books, but I never realized that, haha. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Poisoned Pen, Mysterious Galaxy, and Book Passage are GREAT bookstore names!! This prompt is just making me want to visit all the bookstores ever haha. It's so cool that you were able to visit these bookstores! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to make it down to Mysterious Galaxy Bookstore. I wish all these were a little closer to where I live, but I'm sure they're worth the travel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever been to Powells book store in Portland?!? Its the best book store I have ever been to <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have three wonderful indie bookstores in Houston. One is Blue Willow Bookshop. Another is Murder by the Book. The third is Brazos Bookstore. I love all of them.

    Thank you for sharing your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Last Bookstore and Bart's made my list this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I ever find myself in California - I'll know where to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to say, I am surprised to see an Iowa bookstore on this list! This is a good bookstore guide for California.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a bunch of fun and interesting bookstores. :-)

    ReplyDelete