Monday, October 8, 2018

The Alternate Nobel Prize in Literature

If you've been following the news the past few months, you've likely learned that the Nobel Prize in Literature has been cancelled for 2018. 

Oddly, however, an Alternate Nobel Prize in Literature has been created and is going to be awarded on October 12, 2018.

Here's the thing, ever since I read about the 'sex scandal' surrounding the Nobel committee earlier this year, I thought the Nobel Prize for Literature was going to be cancelled for this year and (possibly) next year until things were straightened out.


In lieu of this information, I've been having a difficult time wrapping my brain around the entire idea of an 'Alternate Nobel Prize for Literature' being awarded on October 12th. 


If a Nobel Prize in Literature isn't going to be awarded this year, due to a scandal, that's fine. Just don't come up with an alternate prize for the Nobel Prize in Literature and then refer to it as the 'Alternate Nobel Prize for Literature' as that sounds lame. 

Either it is the real Nobel Prize in Literature or it is not... Coming up with some woo woo term/alternate name for the Nobel Prize in Literature feels/sounds disrespectful to the idea of winning/awarding a Nobel Prize. Simply don't award a prize this year and move the heck on.

Does anyone else feel the same way?? Or are you fine with the idea of an 'Alternate Nobel Prize for Literature' being awarded??

4 comments:

  1. No Prize should be awarded. Period. It's possible, though, that it's not the same prize committee, in which case they are free to do whatever they want. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is the same committee... So they can award a prize if they like as you mentioned... I just think it's kind of odd that they'd want to call the prize the 'Alternate Nobel Prize in Literature', when it clearly isn't a Nobel Prize in Literature. I just feel like it cheapens the 'REAL' Nobel Prize in Literature by calling another literary prize the 'Alternate Nobel Prize in Literature'.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I cannot wrap my mind around this development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't either... It truly makes no sense at all to me.

      Delete