Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch

Historical Fiction
I remember a few years ago when The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch was published. This historical novel seemed to be a popular book to read at the time and I had placed it on my wishlist of books to read.

Well, I finally listened to the unabridged audio version of The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch and narrated by Grover Gardner from Audible in the past few days.

Listening time for The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch is 12 hours, 57 minutes.

I normally enjoy reading historical fiction, so I had high hopes for The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch. But after listening to the unabridged audio version of this novel, I felt mediocre about this novel on the whole. The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either... Just middle of the road read for me.

This biggest issue for me with regards to The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch, was the stereotyping/characterizations of the characters in the novel. I felt like the characters and the times could have been portrayed differently/better than they were in the novel. Were people really that narrow minded and ignorant back then in their way of thinking??? The way in which the characters were portrayed seemed flat and two dimensional. I wanted the characters have a bit more depth to them.

Grover Gardner did a nice job of narrating The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch.

Below is a quick video synopsis for the The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch, which I discovered on YouTube:


The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch is the first novel in The Hangman's Daughter series. I purchased the unabridged audio version of the second novel in the series, The Dark Monk, at the same time I purchased the first novel in the series, so will be listening to and reviewing, The Dark Monk, in the future.

I am giving The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter #1) by Oliver Pötzsch a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I was tempted in reading this book when it first came out just because of the title, but the blurb didn't hooked me as much. Glad to see that I'm not missing much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I had waited on purchasing the 2nd book in the series until after I had listened to the 1st book! But I had been able to buy both audiobooks for a $1.99 each, so went ahead and purchased both novels... Now that I've listened to the 1st book, I'm not so excited about listening to the 2nd book. :-(

      Delete