Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler



I listened to the unabridged audio version of Kindred by Octavia E. Butler and narrated by Kim StauntonKim Staunton is a good narrator and I enjoyed her narration of Kindred

Listening time for Kindred by Octavia E. Butler is 10 hours, 55 minutes.

I've heard Octavia E. Butler's name for years in the literary world, however, Kindred is the first novel I've read by the author. Kindred is a work of fiction that falls into many genres as it falls into the science fiction genre, historical fiction genre, and time travel fiction as well. 

Kindred is definitely a heavy hitting read. In fact, it's pretty graphic at times due to the violence and brutality bestowed upon African American slaves of the antebellum south. I definitely agree with the following statement from the plot summary below that reads, "author Octavia E. Butler skillfully juxtaposes the serious issues of slavery, human rights, and racial prejudice" in her novel. 

Additionally, Octavia E. Butler's writing is superb and engrossing. As a reader, I was sucked into the storyline immediately and couldn't wait to see what happened to the main character, Dana Franklin, and her husband, Kevin. I was intrigued as to how the time travel worked, what would happen to Dana each time she traveled back and forth through time, and how things would eventually work out for all those involved. Kindred is an amazing novel and explores relevant themes.

The following YouTube video explores the major themes of Kindred by Octavia E. Butler.

Below is the plot summary for Kindred by Octavia E. Butler from Audible:
The first science-fiction written by a black woman, Kindred has become a cornerstone of African-American literature. This combination of slave memoir, fantasy, and historical fiction is a novel of rich literary complexity.
Having just celebrated her 26th birthday in 1976 California, Dana, an African-American woman, is suddenly and inexplicably wrenched through time into antebellum Maryland. After saving a drowning white boy there, she finds herself staring into the barrel of a shotgun and is transported back to the present just in time to save her life.
During numerous such time-defying episodes with the same young man, she realizes the challenge she's been given: to protect this young slaveholder until he can father her own great-grandmother.
Author Octavia E. Butler skillfully juxtaposes the serious issues of slavery, human rights, and racial prejudice with an exciting science-fiction, romance, and historical adventure. Kim Staunton's narrative talent magically transforms the listener's earphones into an audio time machine.
I am giving Kindred by Octavia E. Butler a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

10 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of Butler's books (the two Parable books) and found them interesting and well-written. I'm not familiar with this one but based on your description, it seems like a worthwhile read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've enjoyed Butler's writing as well. I will look into Butler’s two Parable books.

      Delete
  2. Years ago I read several books of Butler’s Patternist series. Those were excellent books. I need to read this one. This book seems to have been ahead of its time. Its plot seems like something more likely to have been written today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred was worth the read. I will have to explore her other novels in the future. Kindred was published in 1979, but it doesn't feel dated in anyway as the topics/themes for this novel are still relevant today. I will look into Butler’s Patternist series.

      Delete
  3. Octavia Butler is an author I will be reading very soon. I love your review of Kindred!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kindred was worth the read. I will have to explore her other novels in the future.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! I read this book back when I was in 9th grade!!! That's what...20 years ago now (yikes!). I remember loving the book and I always meant to revisit it. Maybe I'll try the audiobook too since my hubby and I like to listen to some together. He loves time travel so this will be up his alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed reading Kindred too. I have fun rereading books every once in a while.

      Delete
  5. I know we've "talked" before. I saw this on Carole's Chatter and it's definitely a book I need to read. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment!! Happy reading!!

      Delete