Monday, February 8, 2016

The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan

Unabridged Short Story
I listened to the unabridged audio version of The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan and narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds. The Jester is a short story that I was able to download for free from Amazon. Listening length for The Jester is 54 minutes.

The following is my unbiased review of The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan.

First off, I thought that Tim Gerard Reynolds did a good job of narrating this short story! The Jester is my first experience with anything written by Michael J. Sullivan. I liked Michael J. Sullivan's writing style overall. I felt The Jester was a good story, with relatively engaging characters. The plot and dialogue between characters was also good for The Jester.

I realize that The Jester is a short story, but I felt like some of the storyline or scenes could have been flushed out a bit more for the reader. With that said, I did enjoy listening to The Jester. Is it the best short story I've ever read?? No... Nor is it the worst short story I've read. The Jester is likable nonetheless. The best part of The Jester is how the story comes together in the end.

The following is the plot summary for The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan from Amazon's website:
WHO WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH?
Stop me if you've heard this one. A thief, a candlemaker, an ex-mercenary, and a pig farmer walk into a trap...and what happens to them is no joke. When Riyria is hired to retrieve a jester's treasure, Royce and Hadrian must match wits with a dwarf who proves to be anything but a fool. Difficult choices will need to be made, and in the end those who laugh last do so because they are the only ones to survive.
This is a standalone short story of 7,200 words. No prior knowledge of The Riyria Revelations or The Riyria Chronicles is required to enjoy it to its fullest, making this a perfect introduction for new readers or a chance for Riyria veterans to spend a little more time with old friends. The Jester is a story of adventure, bonds of friendship, and a recognition that the choices we make dictates the future we find.
I am giving The Jester by Michael J. Sullivan a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment