Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday

There have been many times during my life when I've read a book that has literally blown away any expectations I had about it prior to reading it. 

Here's a short list of books that exceeded my expectations. 


1. The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov


I was a Russian language major in college. I'd heard about this Russian classic novel and how well loved it is by native speakers. The Master & Margarita initially sounded like bizarre novel to me and wasn't sure if I'd actually like reading it to be honest.


Well, The Master & Margarita surpassed my personal expectation and it has become one off my all time favorite novels.



2. The Scent of God by Beryl Singleton Bissell

The Scent of God is a memoir and one that I didn't expect that I would enjoy as much as I did.  Beryl Singleton Bissell becomes a cloistered nun and writes about her life leading up to becoming a nun. She ends up eventually deciding that being a nun isn't something she wants to be any longer. Along the way she meets and falls in love with a priest... The pair eventually marry. It's an intriguing memoir.

3. Grayson by Lynne Cox

Grayson is a work of nonfiction. The author Lynne Cox is a long distance swimmer. Ms. Cox shares her personal story about her encounter as a teenager with a baby whale off the coast of Seal Beach, California while on a long distance swim practice. A very heartwarming tale!


4. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


I'm an animal lover. I am proud to share my life with two loving Pomeranians, so I couldn't resist reading The Art of Racing in the Rain. What I didn't expect was how touched I would be from reading this novel. It's amazing! The story is told through the eyes/point of view of a dog named Enzo. I cried many times throughout this novel and smiled many times too. Right now, The Art of Racing in the Rain has been my favorite read of 2013!



5. The Sacred Well by Antoinette May

The Sacred Well is my first experience reading anything written by Antoinette May. This book was engaging and well written. I loved the story and how it is told. 

6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

Okay, I must admit that the title of this novel had me curious about this novel and if it was as good as everyone said it was.

Once I started reading this novel, I couldn't put it down! It is written in a series of letters, which makes it fun to read. It takes place in England on the Channel Island of Guernsey and tells the story of German occupation during WWII and how the island's residents survived during this time period.

7. Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin

Animals in Translation is a work of nonfiction. I had been unaware of Temple Grandin's work prior to reading Animals in Translation. She's a gifted researcher and eloquent writer. Grandin sheds a lot of light on animal behavior. I learned so much about animals from reading this book.


8.  People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Geraldine Brooks is an amazing and gifted writer. I've read three of her novels and People of the Book is my favorite. The storytelling is amazing and extremely captivating from start to finish. 



9. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

I read Sherman Alexie's book last year during Banned Books Week as it has been banned from school curricula. I highly recommend this book as it is told from a Native American perspective.... More specifically from the perspective of a teenage boy. It's a coming of age story and one that sheds light on the Native American experience. 

10. The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

I thought this novel would be an easy, breezy read with little depth to it and forgettable story line and characters... Boy, was I wrong! It was very heartwarming & I loved reading it.


Share your book titles with me that have exceeded your expectations. I'm always on the hunt for books that transform my point of view!


Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment