Saturday, April 21, 2018

Audiobook Pet Peeves!


I have become a lazy reader!! Over the course of the past few years, I have found that I really enjoy listening to audiobooks. Sometimes, I prefer listening to audiobooks over actually reading books for a wide variety of reasons. Here are just a few examples of what I love about listening to audiobooks:

* Great narrators can really bring a broader depth/richness to a book that makes for a far more enriching reading experience.
* Audiobooks are great to listen to on long commutes, vacation/business travel, while exercising, doing menial household tasks, etc.
* I can easily adjust the listening speed of an Audible audio edition of a book on my Kindle, which means finishing a book faster.
* Sometimes it just feels great to have someone read to you, especially if you are feeling under the weather with a cold or flu and reading a book seems like too much work!

However, I have quite a few pet peeves when it comes to audiobooks as well.

Below are a few pet peeves I have with audiobooks:

* Some narrators are just plain awful to listen to!! I've even stopped listening to audiobooks with poor narrators.
* Poor audio quality/production with some audiobooks!!
* My latest audiobook pet peeve pertains to audiobooks on compact disc... Why is it that brand new audiobooks you've purchased and are listening to for the very first time skip like crazy throughout one's listening experience??? It's not like these compact discs are scratched or anything of the sort. Yet I can't go through a single compact disc without it skipping and skipping a lot. This makes for a frustrating listening experience that I do not have to deal with when I listen to an Audible audio edition. So, it looks like I am going to have to completely faze out listening to audiobooks on compact discs altogether at some point down the line. I still have some audiobooks on compact disc to listen to, so it may be a while before I completely transition to listening to audiobooks from Audible exclusively.

Do you like listening to audiobooks? What to do like or dislike about listening to audiobooks?

6 comments:

  1. It all sounds so good, except for your peeves, but I just don't like being read to. It puts me to sleep. I am happy for you and others who love audio books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what makes me so hesitant to try audiobooks! I do want to try them eventually, but only after careful research of which books have the best narration. When it comes to books and media in general, fear of missing even a sentence is real and I can never hear and understand as well as I can read and understand. Still, there are some audiobooks I'm dying to try (like Fantastic Beasts!!).

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audible audio editions are the way to go! I've never had an Audible edition ever skip or anything like that.

      Delete
  3. I used to listen a lot when I commuted to work, but have let my audiobooks slide in recent years. I need to get back into them! I do remember Richard Armitage and James Marsters were two of my favourite narrators

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment... I appreciate your narrator suggestions. :-)

      Delete