Saturday, April 10, 2021

The Ranger, and Other Stories by Zane Grey

 

The western genre is one I am normally not drawn to or one I find very captivating. However, in an effort to expand my reading horizons, I decided to read something from the western genre this year. Zane Grey and Louis L'Amour are the two biggest names I know of in the western genre arena. I decided to go with a short story collection written by Zane Grey dealing with the themes of love and adventure.

I ended up enjoying the audio version of
 The Ranger, and Other Stories by Zane Grey and narrated by Robert G. Slade. There are a total of four short stories in this collection, which include the following stories: "The Ranger", "Canyon Walls", "Avalanche", and "From Missouri". Both "Avalanche" and "From Missouri" were my two favorite short stories.

Listening time for The Ranger, and Other Stories by Zane Grey is 6 hours, 50 minutes and is well narrated by Robert G. Slade.

Below is a summary for The Ranger, and Other Stories by Zane Grey from Audible:
Four tales of love and adventure in the Old West introduce a cast of characters that includes a brave Texas ranger who risks his life against avenging outlaws to rescue the woman he secretly loves; a beautiful seductress who comes between two brothers; a desperate fugitive who seeks sanctuary with a peace-loving people; and a daring young schoolteacher who journeys West to meet the man who has captured her heart.
I am giving The Ranger, and Other Stories by Zane Grey a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

4 comments:

  1. Now this brings back memories. When I was about twelve years old, a friend of mine loaned me a Zane Grey book called "The Light of Western Stars" and I became obsessed with it. I read it over and over before the friend finally insisted that I return it. But it continued to dominate my thoughts. It was essentially a romance set in the West and I guess it was just what I needed at that time. I never read another Zane Grey book nor had any desire to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read Louis L'Amour but not Zane Grey. L'Amour's books are plotted so well that you can't put them down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, I will one day get around to reading a Louis L'Amour novel.

      Delete