Saturday, April 17, 2021

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne


I listened to the unabridged audio version of Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne and narrated by Tim Curry

Listening time for Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne is 8 hours, 10 minutes.

Journey to the Center of the Earth is the third novel I've read written by Jules Verne. I first read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which I've read 2-3 times by the way and love it. Next I read, The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne, which featured Captain Nemo from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in a minor role. And finally, I read Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.

I enjoyed Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne. It's reminiscent of his previous novels, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island, in that Journey to the Center of the Earth felt like both a travelogue and a scientific exploration. I enjoyed the main characters of Otto Lidenbrock and his nephew, Axel. I loved their adventure in journeying to the center of the Earth. I loved the fantastic things they discover while traveling to the center of the Earth too.

Tim Curry does a great job of narrating Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.

Below is a summary for Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne from Audible:
Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of literature’s earliest works of science fiction. It vividly animates a fantastical subterranean world as an intrepid crew, led by the eccentric Otto Lidenbrock, traverses the planet’s core and its various bizarre obstacles: giant mushrooms and insects, a herd of mastodons, prehistoric humans, a treacherous pit of magma, and more.

Tim Curry, narrator of the customer favorite A Christmas Carol, returns for an encore performance that delivers a range of distinct character voices and captures the energy and enthusiasm of a time when scientific exploration was a brand new adventure.
I am giving Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne a rating 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I love this story! The older movie version was a favorite of mine growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie version! Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing the Disney (I think) movie of this years and years ago but I never read the book. I imagine Tim Curry would be perfect at narrating it. The only Verne book I ever read was Around the World in Eighty Days which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around the World in Eighty Days is on my list to read! I really enjoy Jules Verne as a writer.

      Delete