Monday, August 17, 2015

Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume

After reading my very first Judy Blume novel earlier this year, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, I couldn't resist reading another one of Ms. Blume's novels. So, I decided to read Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself as my next read by Judy Blume.

Well, I couldn't have been more disappointed after reading Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume!! I thought the leading character of Sally J. Freedman was so very annoying. In fact, I didn't like most of the characters in this novel... But, Sally's character is naive and such a worrywart all the time, just like the character of Sally's mother is in this novel. Sally also has a VERY ACTIVE imagination and is frequently busy daydreaming!! I thought that most of the storyline for Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself was boring and uninteresting. I almost gave up reading this novel on several occasions, but kept on reading it hoping it would grow better over time. 

After finishing Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself, I noticed at the end of the book, a small section where Judy Blume talks about her writing. I was surprised to learn from Judy Blume that Starring J. Freedman As Herself was her most autobiographical novel. Ms. Blume wrote: "When I was ten I was a lot like Sally --- curious, imaginative, a worrier. I was always making up stories inside my head. In my stories, which I never wrote down or shared, I was brave and strong. I led a life of drama, adventure and fame. I think the character of Sally explains how and why I became a writer." This little tidbit from Judy Blume was the most interesting thing about my entire experience with regards to reading Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself... This piece of information puts an entirely new spin for me on this novel, but it doesn't make me like it any better.

The following is a plot summary for Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume from Amazon's website:
Who do you tell when you're certain that Hitler is alive, retired, and living in Miami Beach?
It's 1947, and Sally J. Freedman full of wild ideas. She's got her eye on handsome Peter Hornstein, the Latin lover of her dreams...on hold Mr. Zavodsky, who looks suspiciously like Hitler in disguise...and on her father, who Sally misses terribly. There are so many things to worry and wonder about. But whatever happens, Sally's school year in Miami Beach will certainly be exciting--and absolutely unforgettable.
I am giving Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself by Judy Blume a rating of 1 star out of 5 stars. 

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment