Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Christmas Secret by Donna VanLiere

Unabridged Audiobook Read by the Author
The Christmas Secret by Donna VanLiere is the first novel I've read or listened by this new to me author. 

I actually stumbled upon a used, unabridged, five compact disc copy of 'The Christmas Secret' at our local Friends of the Library Bookstore for a dollar. I'm always on the lookout for audiobooks on compact disc at our local Friends of the Library Bookstore and for a dollar, buying audiobooks is quite a bargain one usually cannot pass up!

With the holiday season fast approaching, I thought this novel sounded like a good one to enjoy listening to as holiday books can help put you in the mood.

Once I finish listening to audiobooks, I usually exchange them with other avid audiobook listeners on Bookcrossing via a Virtual Book Box exchange, which is a fun way to exchange audiobooks with audio listeners here in the USA.

Now that I've listened to 'The Christmas Secret', I'm not sure I liked it very much. I enjoyed that this audiobook was unabridged and that it was read by the author. However, I thought that many of the leading characters, especially those of Christine and Jason were a bit annoying and one dimensional at times. There also times I became frustrated with their actions or thoughts. Also, the storyline was predictable with a fairy tale ending. The ending was too convenient and tidy. 'The Christmas Secret' was not a horrible read. I'm just disappointed with the novel's lack of depth for both the characters and its story line. 

I'm not even remotely interested in reading or listening to another novel by Donna VanLiere. I wish her continued success as a writer, but her novels aren't for me. 

Are you planning to read any holiday books this season? Share your holiday reading plans here!

No comments:

Post a Comment