Friday, May 11, 2012

Lost Horizon Bookstore

Lost Horizon Storefront
I visited the Lost Horizon Bookstore in downtown Santa Barbara last weekend with my husband. This place is small, quaint. charming, a block off the beaten path and my kind of bookstore. The Lost Horizon sells used books. Many of them unique, along with first editions and some copies signed by the author. 

One comes to the Lost Horizon to find unique books and for the ambiance as they have interesting posters and artwork on hand. There is also an interesting wood sculpture hanging from ceiling. The staff is friendly too, which is always a plus. I look forward to making future visits to the Lost Horizon Bookstore.

I ended up purchasing two books during my visit to the Lost Horizon Bookstore. A paperback version of T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, which I purchased for a dollar. I've never even heard of this playful collection of cat poems before and look forward to reading this short collection of feline related poems.

I also bought a hardback edition of Three Apples Fell From Heaven by Natalia Belting and illustrated by Anne Marie Jauss. This book contains several short stories from around the world all pertaining to trees. The illustrations are charming as well. As a side note, this books was originally published in 1953 and is a first edition. It's still in good condition and even has a clear book cover to protect the dust jacket. One interesting tidbit (for me anyway) is that the original price of this book, per the dust jacket, was $2.50! Wow, I wish books were still this inexpensive!!

The Lost Horizon is open for business from 11:00am to 6:00pm, Monday through Saturday. Their telephone number is (805) 962-4606.

2 comments:

  1. The Broadway musical Cats is (loosely) based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possum%27s_Book_of_Practical_Cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, cool!! I never knew the Broadway musical Cats is loosely based on the poems from Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats! Thank you for sharing this information with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete