Saturday, May 26, 2012

Happy 115th Anniversary to Dracula!!!

Dracula Book Cover
Yes, the novel, Dracula, written by Irish writer, Bram Stoker was first published 115 years ago on May 26, 1897! 
Bram Stoker circa 1906

In junior high school, I read Dracula by Bram Stoker and enjoyed reading it immensely. After reading Dracula, I remember being surprised to discover that the novel was different from the Hollywood horror flick starring Bela Lugosi. Of course, now as an adult I realize that movies are not always a perfect reflection/rendition of a book. I enjoyed reading Dracula, the novel, better than its movie versions. In most cases, I usually find that I enjoy the book better than the movie version.

I also enjoy learning new facts about authors and books that I never knew before. For instance, while writing this post, I read the following information about Dracula on Wikipedia:
When it was first published, in 1897, Dracula was not an immediate bestseller, although reviewers were unstinting in their praise. The contemporary Daily Mail ranked Stoker's powers above those of Mary Shelley and Edgar Allan Poe as well as Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights.
Since the publication of Dracula it has been adapted into countless films and plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment