Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Danger of the Single Story ~ A Ted Talk with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie


After reading, We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a friend of mine recommended watching The Danger of the Single Story ~ A Ted Talk with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. 

I promptly watch The Danger of the Single Story ~ A Ted Talk with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, which is approximately 20 minutes in length and was blown away once again by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's wisdom!

My favorite quote from the above video of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is: "The single story creates stereotypes and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story." 


Diversity is key and knowing all sides of a story is crucial in understanding the world around us.

8 comments:

  1. Weirdly enough, I watched this TedTalk like three weeks ago for this class I'm taking in uni called Perspectives of Popular Texts (basically a glorified book club where we read #ownvoices books) and I loved it too! When I think about the knowledge I have about another country, I mostly just know about it from one source (especially Africa; my perception of Africa was almost the exact same as what she described) which is horrible. I'm hoping that this year will be the year of diverse reading for me and I'll read more books set in different countries or with main characters that are different from me.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, but you're the 2nd person I know that has watched this video for a university class!

      Delete
    2. Good for you, what a wonderful expression of your desire to challenge yourself.

      Delete
    3. Learning new things and new perspectives is crucial to understanding the world around us. It's so easy to become stuck in our ways/habits. I try to keep an open mind and expose myself to other diverse life experiences to help enrich my mind and inquisitive nature.

      Delete
  2. So I take it that the TED talk is not the same as We Should All Be Feminists? I agree with you on the author's wisdom. And on knowing all sides of a story, something our current culture seems to be sadly missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the We Should All Be Feminists Ted Talk. The Danger of The Single Story is the title of the Ted Talk by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. She doesn't talk about feminism in this Ted Talk at all. Different topic altogether.

      Delete
    2. Ok, I get it. I guess I have watched both and melded them into one in my mind. Excuse my confusion please:-(

      Delete
    3. No worries, I thought the videos were going to be the same too!

      Delete