Saturday, July 6, 2024

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix


I listened to the unabridged audio version of Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix in September 2023 and really enjoyed this horror novel quite a bit. So, I added several other novels written by Grady Hendrix to my reading wishlist. 

I decided to listen to the unabridged audio version of My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix and narrated by Emily Woo Zeller as my first read for the month of July 2024. 

Listening time for My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix is 10 hours, 12 minutes and it is well narrated by Emily Woo Zeller.

Aside from wanting to read another novel written by Grady Hendrix, I specifically chose My Best Friend's Exorcism because it's set in the 1980s and features popular music references from the 1980s and other popular culture references from this timeframe as well. I attended both junior high and high school during the 1980s. So, I found it fun to listen to this novel for the 1980s nostalgia factor.

The writing for My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix was decent and engaging overall. Although, sometimes I felt like the characters and the plot were a bit over the top for me at times. Otherwise, I enjoyed the journey and the unfolding of the storyline throughout the novel. So, if you love horror novels, a good old fashion exorcism, supernatural elements, and 1980s references, then I think you'll enjoy reading My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix.

Below is the publisher's plot summary for My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix found on Chirp's website:
A heartwarming story of friendship and demonic possession

The year is 1988. High school sophomores Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since the fourth grade. But after an evening of skinny dipping goes disastrously wrong, Gretchen begins to act … different. She’s moody. She’s irritable. And bizarre incidents keep happening whenever she’s nearby.

Abby’s investigation leads her to some startling discoveries—and by the time their story reaches its terrifying conclusion, the fate of Abby and Gretchen will be determined by a single question: Is their friendship powerful enough to beat the devil?

Like an unholy hybrid of Beaches and The Exorcist, My Best Friend’s Exorcism blends teen angst, adolescent drama, unspeakable horrors, and a mix of 80s pop songs into a pulse-pounding supernatural thriller.

I am giving My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I hadn't head of this Grady Hendrix book. I did love Horrorstor and The Final Girl Support Group. Might have to give this one a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good read. I hope you enjoy My Best Friend's Exorcism if you read it.

      Delete