Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Happy Banned Books Week!


Each year, I read at least one banned/challenged book... And I may or may not read the particular banned/challenged book I choose during Banned Books Week.

Last month, I listened to the unabridged audio version of Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya, which was published 50 years ago in 1972.  It was the first time I'd read Bless Me, Ultima and I am so glad that I did as it was so much more than I imagined it would be. I gave Bless Me, Ultima 5 stars out of 5 stars on Goodreads.

According to Wikipedia, Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya was  challenged for the following reasons:

Owing to what some consider adult language, violent content, and sexual references, Bless Me, Ultima is often the target of attempts to restrict access to the book and was therefore placed on the list of most commonly challenged books in the U.S. in 2013.[9] However, in the last third of the twentieth century, the novel has initiated respect for Chicano literature as an important and nonderivative type of American literature among academics.

Below is a YouTube video of Rudolfo Anaya discussing his novel, Bless Me, Ultima.


How are you celebrating Banned Books Week this year? Have you read any banned or challenged books this year? Additionally, have you read Bless Me, Ultima? If so, what did you think of it?

3 comments:

  1. How interesting. I have never heard of this book but maybe it wasn't banned over here. I always say, whatever the reasons for banning a book or anything else, it always makes it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that banned or challenged books always seem worth reading as they are usually well written and also have important points/topics to impart to readers.

      Delete
    2. That is one thing but they also get a lot of advertisement when they get banned. An effect, that those who ban it don't reall want.

      Delete