Sunday, September 26, 2021

Banned Books Week 2021



Banned Books Week is an annual event I love!!
I don't like the idea of books being banned or censored
in any way. So for me, it is important to promote the end of censorship or banning reading material.

Usually, I read at least one (but usually more) books that have been banned or censored in some way, shape, or form each year.
Furthermore, I try to read at least one banned book during 
Banned Books Week itself.
This year, however, I have no plans to read a banned/censored book
during Banned Books Week. 

I have yet to read a banned/censored book this year.
I do plan to read The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
later this year with an online group that is hosting a read-a-long 
and discussion of this novel with others, which should be a fun adventure. I've never read The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie before, but have heard plenty of hubbub about it since its publication in 1988.

Are you doing anything special to celebrate Banned Books Week?

Below is a video from YouTube featuring Jason Reynolds, the honorary chair for Banned Books Week 2021, discussing this year's
Banned Books Week theme.





2 comments:

  1. Trying to ban books is a technique of authoritarians that has been around as long as books have. It's never been very successful but that doesn't stop them.

    ReplyDelete