Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Which Books Series Have You Read Over The Years?

There have been many, many books series I've started and never finished reading for a wide range of reason. Some of the books I've read in years past, I didn't realize at the time were even part of a series... Or I simply loved some books in a certain series, disliked other books in another series, or I simply could care less about reading an entire collection of novels in a series as sometimes reading standalone books turn out to be what I want to read in the moment verses being wrapped up in an entire series.

Below is a short list of book series I've read over the years. Below that is a list of book series I'd like to finish reading in the future.


I have finished the following book series:

1. The Dollanganger Series by VC Andrews

Flowers in the Attic
Petals on the Wind
If There Be Thorns
Seeds of Yesterday
Garden of Shadows

I remember reading this series when I was in 
high school back in the day. I couldn't seem to read them
fast enough! Other then the basic premise of this series,
I don't remember the details of these novels
very well now.


2. The Bourne Trilogy by Robert Ludlum
(I'm not including the continuation of the series written by Eric Van Lustbader)

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum

I read The Bourne Trilogy in the early 1990s
and loved it! If you love spy thrillers, then check out
the above novels written by Robert Ludlum.
And no, I haven't enjoyed the Bourne movie series!!

3. His Fair Assassin Trilogy by Robin LaFevers

Grave Mercy
Dark Triumph
Mortal Heart

I really loved this young adult series that falls into
the historical fiction genre.

4. A Den of Antiquity Mystery Series by Tamar Myers

Cozy mystery series with 16 titles as follows:

Larceny and Old Lace
Gilt by Association
The Ming and I
So Faux, So Good
Baroque and Desperate
Estate of Mind
A Penny Urned
Nightmare in Shining Armor
Splendor in the Glass
Tiles and Tribulations
Statue of Limitations
Monet Talks
The Cane Mutiny
Death of a Rug Lord
Poison Ivory
The Glass is Always Greener

Some of these cozy novels were wonderful.
Others weren't so wonderful.
I found the Den of Antiquity series really
hit or miss. I'm glad I finished the series though. 

6. The Seal Island Trilogy by Sophie Moss

The Selkie Spell
The Selkie Enchantress
The Selkie Sorceress

Contemporary fiction that weaves in Irish folktales
and mythology, along with a healthy dose of
romance and a wee bit of drama. 
I loved reading the first novel in the Seal Island Trilogy,
but the remaining two novels in this trilogy
were good, but not as wonderful as the first novel.

I'd like to continue reading the following book series:

1. The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon

I love historical fiction and The Outlander series fits
the order and then some!
I started reading The Outlander series in the late 1990s.
Would you believe my grandmother got me hooked 
on this series??
It's been over five years since I've read the next
novel in this series... I'm not even sure which novel
I read last. I should probably go back and start
rereading this series from the beginning. I love Diana
Gabaldon's writing style/storytelling. But each novel is
so long. I don't think at this point in time
that I'll be rereading any of the novels.

2. The Blood Destiny Series by Connie Suttle

I got hooked on this series a few years ago when I received
the first two audiobooks in the series for free through
Audible from the narrator, Traci Odom. 
Both novels were really good 
and very well narrated by Traci Odom. 
The Blood Destiny Falls into the 
Fantasy/Urban/Paranormal genre.

3. A Flower Shop Mystery Series by Kate Collins

So far there are 19 cozy mystery novels in this series
(and counting???). I read a few of these light and fun
cozies over the years, but not in chronological order.
I look forward to reading the rest of the novels in this series.

I may have missed a few book series that I've read in the past or would like to finish reading in the future, but the list above contains book series I remember reading off the top of my head.

Which book series have you read over the years?? And which book series have you yet to finish reading that you would like to finish reading?

4 comments:

  1. Series I have finished (so far, there are more to come): Sara Paretsky's VI Warshawski books, Tana French mystery series, Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials, Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet, Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan Quartet, C S Lewis Narnia books. Wow, I guess I have read quite a few.
    Some I still haven't finished: The Harry Potter books, Anne of Green Gables, the Divergent Series.
    You know, a series can be a great thing but as you say sometimes it peters out or is uneven in quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the Bourne books, but I have seen the movies. I've heard they aren't very similar? And Grave Mercy was good- I really need to continue that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't think The Bourne movies were like the book. The novels are fairly long, which would be difficult to encompass its entirety into a 2 hour movie.

      Yes, the HIs Fair Assassin series is awesome.

      Delete