Saturday, April 4, 2015

Appaloosa Summer by Tudor Robins

Young Adult Novel
Earlier this week, I read the ebook version of Appaloosa Summer by Tudor Robins. Appaloosa Summer is the first novel in the Island Trilogy and it falls into the young adults genre. It's approximately 246 pages.

I downloaded Appaloosa Summer for free to my Kindle. The following is my unbiased review of Appaloosa Summer.

First off, I love the cover of Appaloosa Summer and it was one of the things that first attracted me to this novel.

I love that Appaloosa Summer's leading character is a teenage girl, is set primarily on a Canadian Island, involves horses and horseback riding... And of course, first love! Who doesn't like to read about blossoming first love?

I liked the leading character of Meg Traherne. At times though, I thought she seemed a bit more mature beyond her 16 years of age and had to remind myself at times she was a teenager.

I didn't like Meg's mom though. Meg's mom seemed cold/distant and treated Meg like she was irresponsible. But Meg proves to be very responsible and does a great job working at a Bed & Breakfast during the summer that her mom finally has to acknowledge Meg's as a responsible person who is closely reaching adulthood.

I enjoyed reading about all the events on the island and learning about the other characters Meg meets during her life on the island during the summer. My favorite part was reading about her budding romance with Jared... These two are a cute pair!

The following is the plot summary for Appaloosa Summer from Amazon's website:
Sixteen-year-old Meg Traherne has never known loss. Until the beautiful, talented horse she trained herself, drops dead underneath her in the show ring.

Jared Strickland has been living with loss ever since his father died in a tragic farming accident.

Meg escapes from her grief by changing everything about her life; moving away from home to spend her summer living on an island in the St. Lawrence River, scrubbing toilets and waiting on guests at a B&B.

Once there, she meets Jared; doing his best to keep anything else in his life from changing.

When Jared offers Meg a scruffy appaloosa mare out of a friend’s back field, it’s the beginning of a journey that will change both of them by summer’s end.
I'm giving Appaloosa Summer by Tudor Robins a rating of 8.5 stars out of 10 stars. I enjoyed reading Appaloosa Summer so much, that I immediately download the the second ebook in the Island Trilogy titled, Wednesday Riders. I began reading Wednesday Riders right away and have finished it as well. My review of Wednesday Riders will be coming soon. I am looking forward to reading the third installment of the Island Trilogy once it is made available for purchase.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a really good book! I have a special place in my heart for horse books because I've never been able to have a horse of my own. Definitely going to read this sometime! Great review!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this fun novel and highly recommend it. I just posted my review of Wednesday Riders, the 2nd novel in the series, a few minutes ago. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  2. Nice review! I also really loved this book. And that cover is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Happy reading!!

      Delete