Saturday, March 28, 2015

Tarot: The Ultimate Beginners Guide For Learning The Secrets Of Tarot Cards by Sarah Thompson

eBook Edition
I've been somewhat curious/fascinated with tarot as a form of divination, but have never learned how to use/read tarot cards. So, I decided to download a free copy of Tarot: The Ultimate Beginners Guide For Learning The Secrets Of Tarot Cards by Sarah Thompson from Amazon to my Kindle. Tarot: The Ultimate Beginners Guide For Learning The Secrets Of Tarot Cards by Sarah Thompson is approximately 37 pages in length, so it makes for a quick read.

The following is my unbiased review/opinion of Tarot: The Ultimate Beginners Guide For Learning The Secrets Of Tarot Cards by Sarah Thompson.

I enjoyed learning how to best select a tarot deck. The best tip about buying a deck of tarot cards is to buy a tarot deck in person, not online or through the mail. That way you can feel the cards, get a sense of dimension and whether the artwork and so on, appeals to you.

I also enjoyed learning how to come up with a mission statement for one's tarot deck, how to transfer one's energy to a new tarot deck, how to cleanse and how to properly store one's tarot card deck for future readings. However, I am not sure I agree with or would use some of the cleansing techniques mentioned by the author... Burying the deck in dirt, sand, or salt for 24 hours, sprinkling the tarot deck with water or herbal tea, or passing the deck through a candle flame without burning them are some of the cleansing techniques I wouldn't want to try using on my own tarot deck.

I enjoyed reading an entire chapter on the tarot deck basics and getting to know the basic meaning of the cards in one's tarot deck. However, I was disappointed that the author chose to focus solely on the meaning of the major arcana only and not even address the meaning of the minor arcana --- the suit of swords, wands, coins and cups. I want to learn about and understand the entire tarot deck, not just the major arcana, to perform an accurate reading. As an author, why wouldn't you address the meaning of the cards in the entire deck of tarot cards for one's readers?

How to do a reading is also briefly discussed in another chapter. The biggest tip I learned about doing a reading is to "tell a story". The author mentions that there are hundreds of tarot spreads to learn, but mentions that the three card spread is the easiest one to startr... I'm a newbie to the world of tarot. So, the three card spread appeals to me as a way to begin learning tarot. The twenty-one card spread was also briefly discussed for more advanced readings.

As a recap, Tarot: The Ultimate Beginners Guide For Learning The Secrets Of Tarot Cards by Sarah Thompson has a few good tips, gives meanings to the major arcana cards and explains how to  do both a three card and twenty-one card spread. But with the lack of meanings for the minor arcana, I can't give this book a high rating. I would also have liked to have seen more information about reading the tarot cards themselves. Needles to say, I would call this book an ultimate beginner's guide to tarot.


With that said, I'm giving Tarot: The Ultimate Beginners Guide For Learning The Secrets Of Tarot Cards by Sarah Thompson a rating of 4 stars out of 10 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment