Monday, February 9, 2015

Ring Around The Rosie by Jen Wylie

Free Short Story
I first became acquainted with Jen Wylie's writing from reading Flashy Fiction & Other Insane Tales Volumes 1 & 2, which she wrote with Sean Hayden. 

I really enjoyed reading both volumes of Flashy Fiction & Other Insane Tales. So, when I discovered the free eVersion of Ring Around The Rosie by Jen Wylie on Amazon, I downloaded it to my Kindle.. I looked forward to reading it. Ring Around The Rosie falls into the young adult fantasy genre... It's also a short story approximately 22 pages in length and it took me about 30 minutes to read it from start to finish.

The following is my unbiased review of Ring Around The Rosie by Jen Wylie.

I didn't find Ring Around The Rosie to be that good. I thought it was just okay, nothing special. Basically, the premise of the story is Wylie's take on the children's classic nursery rhyme, Ring Around The Rosie, for her short story. 

I thought that Wylie's story could have been a bit more captivating and alluring from the beginning and by also talking a little more about Shay's character... Like Shay's transformation at the end of the story, where he ends up going, and why he does what he does. Ring Around The Rosie just felt flat to me most of the way through it. I didn't feel a huge sense of excitement or tension build in anticipation as the end of the story draws to a close... Just a small spike of tension. The ending was a let down as I expected more from it than there was of it.

I'm giving Ring Around The Rosie by Jen Wylie a rating of 4 stars out of 10 stars. Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment