Thursday, March 6, 2014

A Version of the Truth by Jennifer Kaufman & Karen Mack

If you enjoy reading novels from the chick lit genre, then you'll probably enjoy reading A Version of the Truth by Jennifer Kaufman & Karen Mack.

I finished listening to the unabridged audio version of  A Version of the Truth by Jennifer Kaufman & Karen Mack yesterday... As a side note, I think I've listened to more audiobooks this year than read physical books... I've become such a lazy reader, which isn't really a bad thing in my book...But, I digress!

As I already mentioned, A Version of the Truth falls into the chick lit genre, a genre I rarely read. I thought that A Version of the Truth was well read by Tanya Eby. In fact, Tanya Eby's dramatic reading of A Version of the Truth is one of the things I most enjoyed about my experience with this particular novel.

Over all I'd say I enjoyed my experience with A Version of the Truth. I didn't love this novel, I didn't hate it either, but felt it was simply a middle of the road type of read. A great novel to read or listen to while commuting, while on vacation, or simply an easy, breezy novel to entertain you and pass the time with. At times, I felt some of the characters were superficial and needed more depth... Other moments from this novel had me reflecting on what the authors were trying to convey and other scenes had me laughing out loud.

My favorite character was Sam, the lead character's pet parrot, who was a riot with his potty mouth and crazy antics! 

The lead character Cassie Shaw was also an interesting character. At times I loved her character and found myself rooting for her. At other times, I found myself annoyed with what seemed like whiny behavior on her part or when she wouldn't speak up for herself to others/say what was on her mind.

The following is an overview of A Version of the Truth by Jennifer Kaufman & Karen Mack from the Barnes & Noble website:
From the critically acclaimed authors of the #1 Los Angeles Times bestseller Literacy and Longing in L.A. comes the ultimate story for late bloomers of every exotic shade. And a quirky young heroine with a knack for reinvention and a flair for the unexpected no reader will ever forget.

Thirty, newly single, and desperately in need of a paycheck, inveterate bird-watcher Cassie Shaw finds herself doing something that goes against all her principles. She lies on a résumé to land a job and finds herself employed at an elite university working for a pair of professors as unique as the rare birds she covets. One of them is the sexy, handsome, cheerfully aristocratic expert in animal behavior Professor William Conner. Under his charismatic tutelage, Cassie begins her personal transformation into the person she was meant to be while meeting the kinds of people she has never met before. But when your entire future and your unlikely new career teeter on an unbearable untruth, the masquerade can’t go on forever. And when Cassie steps out from behind her mask it will transform her life—and the lives of those around her—forever.
All in all, I give A Version of the Truth a rating of 6.5 stars out of 10 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment