Monday, July 9, 2012

Reading Books is Good For You!

I personally think reading books is the perfect hobby! What makes reading books so special? Reading books is  a fun, easy, inexpensive, educational hobby that can be accomplished almost anywhere. Plus I love discussing books with others and sharing books.

I read an online article yesterday morning titled, Perfect Hobby? Reading books Is Fun, Cheap and Good for You by Trent Hamm. The following is a quote from Hamm's article:
The act of reading improves your ability to absorb and comprehend written information, helping you in virtually any career path. There are very few jobs today that don't incorporate written information or instructions, and the more you read, the easier it is for you to absorb that information and execute your job better.

Reading also improves your cultural literacy, making it easier to find shared conversation points with others. The more you read, the more ideas you have in your head and the more ways you can find to connect with the people around you.

Reading can be surprisingly social, too. I love discussing books with my friends, particularly ones we've both read. Often, we'll choose to read the same books for the discussion opportunities. Book clubs take that idea to another level, turning books into a true social event. 

Reading is a wonderful hobby, and it would be even if it didn't happen to be incredibly frugal as well.

As as an avid reader myself, I already knew the above mentioned benefits of reading books. It's just nice to see another written affirmation of the wonderful benefits of reading books.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, preachin' to the choir! :D I know it! I love to read just about anywhere and so does a good majority of my family. And it's the reason why I collect books too... so I have a good-sized library of books to choose from and don't have to leave my house to find something wonderful to read on a cold, wet Winters' day... or a stinking hot day where I don't want to go outside.

    Reading has become something that I love to do at anytime - from before bed, to waiting in a doctor's office - and I think I'll be doing it when I'm on my deathbed waiting to pass over to the other side where (in my opinion) my Heaven will be a massive library of books I've never read, all waiting for me to read them. :D

    ReplyDelete