Monday, January 29, 2018

112 Fabulous Russian Writers!!

During my college years, I was a Russian language major and took quite a few Russian literature courses as electives. I eventually graduated with a BA in Russian. I have a special place in my heart for Russian literature and Russian writers.

Earlier today, I was excited to discover an article on Russia Beyond's website titled, 112 Russian writers ranging from great, to absolutely freaking great by Alexandra Guzeva.

I wasn't surprised to find that Alexander Pushkin took the top spot at #1... He's the cream of crop as far as writers go and it would be difficult to top him! 

Leo Tolstoy, Fydor Dostoyevsky, Nikolai Gogol, Ivan Turgenev (one of my favorite Russian writers), Mikhail Lermontov (another favorite Russian writer of mine), Anton Chekhov, Maxim Gorky, Mikhail Sholokhov, and Boris Pasternak all landed in the top ten spots for best Russian writers. 

I must admit that I was a tad disappointed that Mikhail Bulgakov didn't make it on to the top 20 list of best Russian writers. His novel, The Master and Margarita, is a MUST read! In fact, I am way overdue for a reread of this Russian classic.

The best part is that I haven't read anything written by most of the Russian writers mentioned in the above article. In fact, many of them, I've never even heard before! So, I have a lot of Russian writers to read and review in the future.

Do you enjoy reading Russian literature? Do you have a favorite Russian writer or Russian novel?

2 comments:

  1. What a great resource you have found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a really resourceful list of writers!!

      Earlier this month, I began reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, which is a dystopian novel I've been wanting to read for a long time. After beginning this novel, I found myself wanting to read more Russian literature, so am glad I discovered this list of Russian literature.

      Delete