Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Short Reviews For Eight Short Stories I Listened to Through YouTube


1. 'The Voice In The Night' by William Hope Hodgson is a horror/suspense short story I was able to listen to for free through YouTube. I enjoyed this short story quite a bit and it is very well narrated. 4/5 stars.


2. 'The Witch Door' by Ray Bradbury is another horror/suspense short story worth a listen! I haven't read many things written by Ray Bradbury. I am usually impressed by what I have read by him. 'The Witch Door' is set in present day and involves time travel through a special door. This short story also touches upon what it means to be a 'witch' in the present day and in the past. The ending of the story leaves it to the reader what may become of the two side characters; one travels to the past and the other to the future. 3/5 stars.


3. It's been several decades since I've read anything by Anton Chekov. In fact, I can't really remember what I've read by him other than perhaps a play or two and some short stories, but which ones? I can't recall anymore. I decided to revisit Chekov's works by listening to 'The Lottery Ticket', which is a very short read. This story essentially takes us through the minds of a husband and wife on how they envision life being different for them should they have won money from a lottery ticket. 3/5 stars.


4. 'The Landlady' by Roald Dahl is a short story for adults. I am very familiar with Roald Dahl's novels for children... In fact, I've read quite a few of them over the years. But it wasn't until I became an adult that I realized that Roald Dahl also wrote things for adults as well. I decided to explore a work of shorter fiction by Roald Dahl by listening to 'The Landlady', which is a creepy, horror short story! 3/5 stars.


5. 'In Amundsen's Tent' by John Martin Leahy is a very well narrated short story. It's creepy. As much as I enjoyed the narration, I wasn't a fan of this short story. 2/5 stars.



6. 'Robot Dreams' by Isaac Asimov is a science fiction story about robots, AI, and consciousness. This topic seems relevant as ever. I enjoyed listening to 'Robot Dreams'. I think you will too. 3/5 stars.



7. 'Garg the Good' by Dominic Bowers-Mason is a fantasy short story. It is a decent listen at just over 13 minutes. This story is nicely narrated. 3/5 stars.


8. 'A Sound of Thunder' by Ray Bradbury is the best of the best of these eight short stories I listened to last month!! 'A Sound of Thunder' is in essence a tale of time travel and covers the idea/concept of the 'Butterfly Effect'... Or put another way, the idea of the 'Grandfather Paradox'... If you go back in time and one thing is changed in even the slightest way, how will that effect the future? 'A Sound of Thunder' by Ray Bradbury explores this idea in a unique way. 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment