Friday, November 13, 2020

Chat From the Old Cap: Joy Harjo (78MFA)

 

I am an alumni of the University of Iowa. I was very excited to attend an online virtual event titled, Chat From the Old Cap: Joy Harjo (78MFA), on Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 1pm PST.

Joy Harjo is the current U. S. Poet Laureate and the first Native American to hold this position. Little did I know (until recently) that Joy Harjo earned her MFA from the Iowa Writer's Workshop in 1978.

During the 45 minute discussion, we heard Joy Harjo read her poems Grace and American Sunrise, talk about her music as well as her two new Native American anthologies, and her experience as a student at the University of Iowa. 

Joy Harjo also gave writing advice when asked what advice she would give to those wanting to follow in her footsteps. To paraphrase, she essentially said don't follow in her footsteps... Make your own footsteps. Great advice!

Which virtual author events have you attended recently or will be attending soon?

7 comments:

  1. This is really cool! I remember reading some of Harjo's poetry in my creative writing classes and I'm actually applying to the University of Iowa for my MFA because they have such a great program. I'm glad you enjoyed the event!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping my fingers crossed that you are admitted into the University of Iowa's Creative Writing MFA program!!! They do have a strong reputation for this very program.

      I don't know if you've ever visited the University of Iowa before, but it is awesome!! I had such an amazing experience attending the University of Iowa. Small town college vibe. Great academic programs. Iowa City use to be the capital of Iowa before Des Moines and the the Old Capitol Building is on campus and is now a museum and a national historic landmark. The Old Capitol building is surrounded by 4 other buildings known as the Pentacrest. I'm so thrilled I went to college there.

      Delete
    2. I haven't visited yet but it sounds like a gorgeous place to live (I can't wait to see the Old Capitol Building) with a great community! Fingers crossed I get in!

      Delete
  2. I attended this virtual chat as well (thanks for the recommendation!). I really enjoyed the small talk regarding Sandra Cisneros, as well as her poetry reads. I haven't read any of her poems myself so I have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you attended this virtual event as well... You're welcome on the recommendation. I'm glad you seemed to enjoy watching it as much as I did.

      I also enjoyed the small talk regarding Sandra Cisneros too. I have not read any of Joy Harjo's poetry either and will have to make a point of doing so.

      Delete
  3. I attended a virtual author event two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you recently attended a virtual author event!! I hope you enjoyed the event. Who did you hear speak online?

      Delete