Saturday, June 20, 2020

The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy


Reading make-up tutorial books are definitely books I normally do not read. However, years ago, I use to watch TLC's popular show What Not to Wear and enjoyed watching this series quite a bit. I remember thinking Carmindy, the show's make-up artist, did a great job making each contestant on the show look great with natural looking make-up. 

So, when Carmindy came out with her book, The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman, in 2007, I decided to purchase the hardback edition... Although I can't remember exactly when I purchased The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy, I've owned it for at least 7 years now and FINALLY read it this year!! 

I originally purchased The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy because I've never been a big make-up wearer. I thought I could improve upon/learn the basic techniques to applying make-up that would enhance my make-up wearing experience and gain more confidence in knowing that I was correctly applying make-up to my face.

So, onward to the review of The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy! This book is beautifully rendered. I absolutely L-O-V-E the entire layout for this book starting with the cover design and photography... if you take off the dust jacket for the hardback edition, you see cool images of various types of make-up. Additionally, the interior layout is well organized and thought out starting with the table of contents. I also loved the introduction as Carmindy shares her make-up philosophy and how she became interested in make-up. Her philosophy is a POSITIVE one as she believes in focusing on accentuating your best features by using the right products and not covering flaws with too much make-up... In fact, Carmindy doesn't believe women are flawed or need to meet any set standard of beauty. So she gives a very positive focused message, which I love! 

Each chapter of The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy focuses on something specific, whether it's learning the 5 minute basic make-up routine, to learning how to shape your eyebrows, the best make-up colors based on skin tone and eye color, how to apply make-up based on your age range, and how to take the basic look from day to night, and so much more. The instructions for make-up application are easy to follow and loads of photographs are given throughout. 

All that's left to do is practice the techniques given in The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy, which may be awhile since I'm still dealing with crps symptoms regularly.

Below is a summary for The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy from Amazon:
Good beauty advice is hard to come by these days. Women are constantly inundated with products that promise to remove wrinkles, reduce puffiness, highlight cheekbones, hide blemishes, and make them look younger, healthier, tanner, and even thinner–but do these products really work? Are they worth the time, money, and effort? Carmindy, makeup artist on TLC's popular show What Not to Wear, believes that the secret to a great look is to focus on the positive: learn how to enhance your best natural features with sheer washes of color rather than hide under layers of artificial–looking makeup. In The 5–Minute Face, Carmindy shares her beauty philosophy, offering a practical, easy, and always–successful makeup routine that works for all ages and skin types.
The steps for achieving the five–minute face–from smoothing on foundation, to slicking on lip color–are simple. But as Carmindy demonstrates, many women don't know which product is right for their skin tones, or are clueless on how to apply makeup for optimal results. Throughout every chapter, she provides valuable advice on perfecting the makeup technique that is right for your face, including product tips and accompanying "toolbox" sections that describe which tools to use with each type of makeup.
No matter what your age is, or whether you have porcelain skin or rosacea, Carmindy will help you look fabulous. In addition to the 5–minute makeover, she discusses:

•How to Get Brows That Wow: Learn what brow shape best frames your face

•What's Age Got to Do with It?: Tricks and trade secrets that keep every woman looking beautiful, from teens to women fifty and over.

•Beauty Comes in All Colors: Freckles? Blemishes? Carmindy solves the problems that make finding the perfect makeup for your skin tone difficult. Also includes tips on lash dying for those fair lashes, and lash perming for those who want permanently curled lashes.

•The 10–Minute Face: Carmindy shows how to build on the 5–minute face for special occasions. Everything from sexy dates–looking right in all white at your wedding–to the perfect look for a job interview.
Accompanied throughout by Palma Kolansky's beautiful photography, The 5–Minute Face is every woman's guide to enhancing their unique and beautiful features with the perfect makeup routine.
I am giving The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

6 comments:

  1. I have always had a fraught relationship with makeup. These days I get instant feedback on the only times I put it on, which is for Zoom meetings. Ha ha. My reading group members say I look good on Zoom. Even more ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not alone in having a difficult relationship with makeup.

      That's sweet that your reading group members say you look good on Zoom. I'm sure you look beautiful with or without makeup!

      Delete
  2. I used to watch What Not to Wear and in fact, I started testing out makeup colors on my hand first and using my fingers because of Carmindy. Will need to check her book out even though I hardly wear makeup anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't worn makeup in 7 years, which is the main reason I'd put off reading this book until now. I'd purchased The 5-Minute Face: The Quick Easy Makeup Guide for Every Woman by Carmindy at a time when I was still wearing makeup... Hopefully, I'll start wearing makeup again soon. I'm still having pain due to crps, so wearing makeup hasn't been a big priority in my life at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Sorry you're still having pain. I really hope it becomes more manageable.

      I usually wore makeup but started wearing the minimum after getting married, especially after my incident.

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I take it a day at a time.

      Delete