Thursday, December 5, 2019

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch


Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch is a book that has been in my 'to be read pile' for well over 5.5 years! 

In an effort to read some of my older books waiting to be read, I chose to listen to the unabridged audio version of Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch and narrated by Coleen Marlo this fall... And I am so glad that I read this nonfiction book as I enjoy memoirs and reading about other peoples journeys of healing through reading books!

Below is the summary for Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch from Amazon:
“Nina Sankovitch has crafted a dazzling memoir that reminds us of the most primal function of literature-to heal, to nurture and to connect us to our truest selves." —Thrity Umrigar, author of The Space Between Us

Catalyzed by the loss of her sister, a mother of four spends one year savoring a great book every day, from Thomas Pynchon to Nora Ephron and beyond. In the tradition of Gretchen Rubin’s The Happiness Project and Joan Dideon’s A Year of Magical Thinking, Nina Sankovitch’s soul-baring and literary-minded memoir is a chronicle of loss, hope, and redemption. Nina ultimately turns to reading as therapy and through her journey illuminates the power of books to help us reclaim our lives.
I'm giving Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

8 comments:

  1. Reading is definitely therapy for me! I think I would like this. Glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Books serve many purposes for us, don't they? But therapy is certainly one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love books about books and reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I found your link at Carole's Chatter, always great to find some like-minded people.

    Since I'm a huge Tolstoy fan and I love to read books about books and reading etc., this has been on my wishlist for a while. Time to get it, I think ...

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment on my blog. I appreciate it.

      I hope you do read Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch and enjoy it. Happy reading!

      Delete