Friday, March 23, 2018

50/50 Friday ~ Best/Worst Classic Novel



50/50 Friday is a meme hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reads and Laura @ Blue Eye Books. This fun themed meme focuses on the opposite sides of books (best/worst, differing opinions, etc). Every week a new topic will give bloggers the chance to showcase their answers.

This week's topic is the Best/Worst Classic Novel you've read! I've read so many classics over the years that trying to narrow down my choices to the 'best/worst' novel is going to be a difficult one for me to make. 

To narrow down my choices, I'm going to select novels that are classics in American Literature.

The Best American Classic Novel I've Read


To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee



East of Eden by John Steinbeck

The Worst American Classic Novel I've Read


(Click on above link to read my review.)



The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree on your choices. East of Eden is an amazing novel. I really did not like The Old Man and the Sea though I think For Whom the Bell Tolls is a great American classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback!! We seem to have the same taste in books for the most part, which is wonderful.

      Delete
  2. My favorite 'regular' classic novel - as in, not crime/mystery is Sense and Sensibility. My most 'un-favorite' - anything by William Faulkner. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a novel by Faulkner for a college English course.... It was painful!

      Delete
  3. TKAM is so wonderful!! When the prequel was published, I really wanted to read it, but I don't know if I want to ruin my view of Atticus from TKAM anymore... I might read it eventually :) I haven't read East of Eden yet but I have read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and that just tore me APART. The ending is just so beautiful and brutal and sad. I'm hoping to read more of his work soon. That and William Faulkner because he's always seen as such a classic writer but I've heard awful things about his writing (and, judging by my inability to get more than 20 pages into other dense classics, I don't think I'll be able to finish any of his books). I think I'll still read a bit of his work just so I can have a taste of it and fully decide that I'll never read anything by him again :) Thanks for linking up!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to the audio version of Go Set A Watchmen in 2016. It was worth a listen to, but not as good as TKAM.

      Delete
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird is such an amazing novel.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Happy reading!

      Delete