Thursday, April 26, 2012

Official Bookcrossing Zones!!!

I am an avid Bookcrosser!! I enjoy sharing my love of reading with other like minded readers by exchanging books and also meeting new people when the opportunity presents itself. 

Last weekend, I was in San Diego County celebrating my stepdad's birthday with my mom and my husband. On our return drive home, my husband and I stopped off in Vista, California to specifically visit Panera Bread, which contains an active Official Bookcrossing Zone inside (OBCZ).

An Official Bookcrossing Zone is a place where active members of the Bookcrossing community as well as other members of the community may leave and/or take books from a designated location within a particular establishment. In this case, there is a small bookcase inside Panera Bread filled with a fabulous selection of books that have been registered on Bookcrossing by the many wonderful Bookcrossing members at large.

This was my first visit to this particular Panera Bread location and the fourth OBCZ I've visited over the years. I ended up releasing three books during our brief visit and taking three additional novels home with me --- The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht,  Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris, and A Penny Urned by Tamar Myers were the books I've added to my current and ever growing to be read pile. All three novels were in almost pristine condition, but, the most exciting part was that two of the three novels were ones that had been on wishlist for quite awhile. 

Needless to say I left Panera Bread a happy camper last Sunday afternoon! I plan to stop by the Vista Panera Bread location during future visits to see my parents. It'll be fun to release books there again and find other wonderful books to read as well!

Have you visited an OBCZ before? If so, which ones?

2 comments:

  1. I visit OBCZ's anytime I travel and can find one. Sometimes I have great luck finding a book to take with me. Other times, the OBCZ's are pretty much defunct. But my two favorites were one in Portland, Maine and a coffee shop near Wrigley Field in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the OBCZ I've visited is now defunct, which sucked cause it was about 20 minutes from my home. I keep thinking I'd love to start one of my own in my area, but have not worked up the nerve to do so.

      Have you given any thought to starting an OBCZ?

      Delete